Follow along as multi-talented make-up artists create on-the-spot sci-fi creatures for us to marvel at. Even if you’re not a science fiction fan or a wannabe make-up artist, if you’re a creative type at all— writer, screenwriter, producer, director, or other film people—you’ll learn tidbits they don’t teach you in film school. How would I know—I never went to film school—you ask? Because unlike in a classroom, these contestants are put to the test; on the job; in a highly intense, competitive environment. If you are a science fiction filmmaker or storyteller, then Face Off is a must see. Check out my notes on episode 3:
- A bad idea is a bad idea no matter how much you throw at it.
- Most Face Off (and Hollywood film) failures failed at the concept level.
- Team communication is essential. A true collaboration is even better and it’s difficult to beat.
- Don’t leave your teammate out to hang; you may end up hanging together.
- Step it up! You’re surrounded by hungry, creative artists who want to win.
- Don’t rest on your laurels. You have to bring it every day.
- Give the judges (your employer) your individual take on the assignment. That means putting your unique vision, your distinctive spin on the project. That’s what sets you apart from others.